- 10 of The Best WordPress SEO Tips
- #1. Get The Basics Right
- #2. Sitemaps are Essential
- #3. Your Web Hosting Plays a Crucial Role
- #4. Long Form of Content Outranks Short Articles
- #5. Get Links From Relevant Blogs
- #6. Internal Linking is the Key
- #7. Always Add rel=”nofollow” to low value links
- #8. Keep Updating Your “Top 10 High Traffic” Posts
- #9. Keep An Eye on Your Website Speed
- #10. Is Your WordPress Site Mobile Responsive?
- Final Thoughts About The WordPress SEO Tips
- Please check out this informative post an Infographic on repurposing content developed by our friend Christopher Jan Benitez
- Related Posts
Last updated on April 17, 2019.
Greetings to you all,
Thank you all for the relentless support rendered in relation to our previous post the Roundup post.
This week I am happy to present Pro Blogger Anil Agarwal’s yet another Guest Post to the Philipscom readers. I am sure he needs no introduction to my readers. His previous Guest Post was a well-read post, and this time, he is here with a similar kind of post a must read to all bloggers. In this post he talks about, Top 10 WordPress SEO Tips for Bloggers Who Want to Skyrocket Their Search Rankings.
Thank you, Anil for your valuable time with my readers here. I appreciate your continued support to Philipscom.
May you have a great time of interaction with each other.
Read on what Anil wants to convey:
Have you ever noticed why only a few sites get massive traffic from search engines like Google?
Not that those blogs are perfectly optimized but they are also well crafted both for humans and Google crawlers.
If you are struggling to increase your search rankings and traffic, I’ve 10 best WordPress SEO tips for you which can quickly improve your SEO.
Are you curious to find them out? Let’s dive into the details.10 Best WordPress SEO Tips To Skyrocket Your Blog Traffic! Read Anil's Guest Post @ #Philipscom Click To Tweet
10 of The Best WordPress SEO Tips
#1. Get The Basics Right
Here are a few essential things to do if you want to grow your search engine traffic to your blogs.
WordPress SEO by Yoast: On-page optimization is really important if you want to get more exposure from search engines for any keyword you are targeting for. WordPress SEO by Yoast is a free plugin that helps you easily optimize your web pages for any keyword. It tells you where to put your focused keyword to get better rankings.
Keyword Research: Finding better keywords is the key to skyrocketing your search rankings. If you are writing blog posts without doing any keyword research, you won’t be getting any blog traffic from Google. Always make sure you are finding long tail keywords (ex: “how to get better search rankings” instead of targeting “SEO traffic”) and LSI Keywords to quickly boost your organic traffic.
Install W3 Total Cache: Did you know that you can speed up your site loading times by clearing cache from your database and server files? Yes, that’s true. That’s the reason why the majority of the WordPress users use caching plugins like W3 total cache. It helps you quickly clear all the cache whenever you update/delete a plugin.
#2. Sitemaps are Essential
The majority of the WordPress sites are not fully optimized. They struggle to boost their search traffic mainly because they don’t get their blog posts quickly get indexed in search engines.
Do you know why? Because they don’t use any sitemaps. A sitemap essentially is a file which contains all the pages (blog posts, pages) on your blog and submits to Google whenever you update something on your blog. Here’s an essential plugin to create sitemaps.
Google XML Sitemap: This WordPress plugin easily generates a special sitemap file that will help you quickly index all your blog posts and content whenever you update something on your blog.
#3. Your Web Hosting Plays a Crucial Role
If you are a beginner, I highly recommend NOT to go for a free or cheap (or less used) web hosting service. Make sure to pick a reliable hosting that does not only speed up your site loading times but cost-effective.
You don’t want to spend a lot of money on a good web hosting service. There are so many WordPress hosting services such as A2Hosting, WP Engine, Bluehost, SiteGround, etc are cost-effective yet they offer amazing value to their customers.
Here are two things to consider while picking a good web host to improve your overall SEO rankings.
- Make sure the web hosting service you pick takes less time to load. WP Engine is a great option which has an inbuilt CDN which makes your site loading times really faster.
- Technical support is another major concern. Search on Google for the web hosting provider you pick. Read what other customers are saying about it. Find out all the pros and cons. And check out if your preferred web hosting functions 24 x 7, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
#4. Long Form of Content Outranks Short Articles
Did you know the average content length of most top 10 results is over 2,000 words?
It means Google is giving top search results to those web pages which have the long form of content. Have a look at the screenshot below for better understanding, source by serpIQ.
If you are wondering how to create such massive articles with over 2,000 words, I have some practical content creation tips for you.
Quick note: I’ve been using the same tips to consistently create 2,000-word articles on my blog at BloggersPassion from last 2 years. And I’ve been getting massive search engine traffic just because of such long form of content.
- Write compelling headlines. You should spend quality time in writing powerful headlines that make your audience click on your posts after immediately reading your titles. I personally recommend you to come up with 3 to 5 headline ideas for each post you write. That way you can use at least one of them as your best headline.
- Writing long form of content with over 2000 words is not hard if you outline properly. Outlining your content is the key here. Include all the points and subheadings before you start creating detailed content and it will help you easily finish off writing.
- Also, perform keyword research. Come up with long tail keywords which include 4 or 5 more keywords in it. This will alone can help you boost your overall search engine traffic. Use tools like SEMrush, Long Tail Pro etc for finding low competition long tail keywords.
- Start writing and don’t edit. Don’t edit anything until you finish. If possible use a timer and get rid off all the distraction while you write. This will improve your focus and you can quickly write more than you think you can.
- Researching is also the key. I personally recommend you to start using Google Docs for writing articles and include all the links for reference to write your articles. Spend quality time on researching. The more you research the more helpful it is for you to write quality content.
- Last but not least, analyze the blog posts written by top bloggers in your field. In marketing filed, bloggers like Neil Patel, Pat Flynn, Brian Clark writes exceptionally well thought and in-depth articles. By analyzing how they are writing and the way they craft can give you lots of ideas on how to write better without any hassle.
#5. Get Links From Relevant Blogs
The secret to skyrocket your search rankings quickly is to get more links to your content.
The majority of the bloggers struggle to increase their search engine traffic because all they do is to write more content (without caring about getting more links to their contents). If you are also one among them, stop it and start finding better ways to get links.
That being said, here are 2 practical ways to build backlinks to your blogs.
- Blogger outreach: Whenever you write a post, send emails to other bloggers in your niche. Before seeking their help, make sure to link out to their blog posts. Let them know how valuable your content is for their audience. Ask them to share, tweet or link to your posts. Most bloggers will reciprocate if they find your content interesting.
- Repurpose: Do you have a great post? Why not turn it into multiple sources like making it an eBook, Infographic, video, slide or even an audio file? Repurposing your existing content gives you great chances to build natural links from many sources. For More Tips And Strategies See, The Infographic Given At The End Of This Post.
#6. Internal Linking is the Key
Internal linking is nothing but linking to your own blog posts or pages. Google crawlers crawl deep down your website if you are frequently linking to your own blog posts. It improves your sites crawlability and gives you better search results for the linked posts in the long run.
As a rule of thumb, I suggest you link to 1 post for every 200-300 words you write.
For instance, if you have a 1000 word article, including 4 to 5 internal links is always a good thing.
#7. Always Add rel=”nofollow” to low value links
Did you know that every time you link out to other external blog or source, you are passing your website’s link juice?
Yes, that’s true. Although external linking is critical to building relationships with other bloggers.
But when you have a new blog, it’s hard to increase your Domain Authority (DA) unless you have a solid link building strategy.
Keep on linking out to other bloggers frequently but make it relevant (blogs related to your niche or content) and every time you do that, let them inform by email. That way, sooner or later, you will also start getting incoming links from them.
Whenever it is possible use rel=”nofollow” to the external links that don’t add any value to you or your website’s audience. For instance, if you are linking to a WordPress plugin or an affiliate link, there’s no need to pass your link juice. Simply add the rel=”nofollow” tag and you will be fine.
#8. Keep Updating Your “Top 10 High Traffic” Posts
Open your Google Analytics. Check out all the top pages that are driving most search traffic to your blogs. Focus especially on the top 10 pages that are sending you more traffic.
If you have not updated any of them in a while, you should start updating.
Why? Heard about the 80/20 principle? 80% of the results come from 20% of the inputs.
By knowing the top 10 pages of your blog and updating them with the new information and also adding a few more relevant long tail keywords, you can increase your search traffic even more. That’s what smart bloggers do all the time. So what are you waiting for?
#9. Keep An Eye on Your Website Speed
Website speed is critical. If it’s loading slowly, you will get bad search results. If it’s taking less than 3 seconds to load, you will get the best rewards from Google. Simple as that.
Don’t use java scripts excessively. Avoid using too many banner ads. Install a cache plugin. The shift to a faster hosting service. Start using a CDN (Content Delivery Network) and don’t use too many WordPress plugins.
By following the above mentioned simple tips can help you improve your loading times to a great extent. So always focus on your website speed.
#10. Is Your WordPress Site Mobile Responsive?
Google released a mobile-friendly update to give better search results to the websites which are mobile responsive. If your site is not responsive yet, you should make it mobile friendly soon or you will lose a lot of traffic and sales on the table.
You can use this feature by Google to find whether your site is mobile friendly or not.
If it is not, you can either use free plugins such as WPtouch mobile plugin or hire someone to make it mobile responsive.
Final Thoughts About The WordPress SEO Tips
No matter how many WordPress SEO tips you know or learn, unless you start implementing them, you won’t get any results. Fortunately, WordPress is a Google-friendly platform and gives you access to thousands of useful plugins.
So what are your thoughts on using the above WordPress SEO tips to boost your search traffic? Do you have any more website traffic generation tips? Please share your views in the comments.
Please check out this informative post an Infographic on repurposing content developed by our friend Christopher Jan Benitez
Anil’s earlier Guest Post on Philipscom Read HERE
Updated on: Feb 12, 2019 @ 01:25
Published on: Jun 16, 2016 @ 01:25
Check your domain ranking